01 May 1999
(9) Chimneys. Masonry (04210). Prefab (10300). Flashing (07608). Are saddles, crickets
(10) Solar heat collection panels (13980). Solar water heaters (13980/15431).
(11) Prefabricated roof specialties. Steeples (10341). Spires (10342). Cupolas (10343)
(12) Anchorage. Fasteners, cleats as specified? Metals compatible? Fasteners long enough for
specified penetration? (Min 12 mm [1/2"] into [or all the way through] decking). High wind or seismic
e. Field Review and Observation.
(1) Seam Formation and Soldering. Flat pans require pre-tinning prior to application. After seam
engagement seams should be malleted or dressed down and thoroughly sweated full of solder.
(2) Sealant. If sealant is specified, observe that specified sealant is used and is compatible with
the metals used.
(3) Valleys and Drains. Valley construction is critical. Review details and specified lapping.
10-5. MAINTENANCE CONSIDERATIONS.
(1) Joints. Thermal expansion can cause fatigue of intersections where sufficient clearance has
not been provided. Soldered joints provide little strength. Use rivets for strength and solder for
(2) Corrosion. Corrosion caused by contact with dissimilar metals requires replacement with
compatible materials or the use of separators.
(3) Housekeeping. Cleaning gutters every spring and autumn is beneficial to all sloped roofing
b. Repair or Replace. The systems discussed in this Chapter are extremely durable and most
decisions will be to repair rather than replace. All the metals are valuable and recyclable.
c. Repairs: Emergency, Temporary, and Permanent.
(1) Emergency repairs. Emergency repairs would imply loss of watertight integrity. An
emergency patch could consist of self-adhesive EPDM or MB materials, roofing felts, a plastic film, or
metal plate set in asphalt mastic.
(2) Temporary repairs. A temporary repair would be to install metal of similar form even if the
appearance does not visually match the rest of the roof.
(3) Permanent repairs. A permanent repair would be to install identical material making certain
that new material is installed as appropriate for the original system.