01 May 1999
10-4. CONSTRUCTION CONSIDERATIONS.
a. General. The skill of the applicator is extremely important to crafted metals. Knowledge of
techniques and possession of correct tools is needed.
(1) Zinc. Zinc metal cannot be formed or bent at temperatures below 5C (40F).
(2) Solder. Soldered seams should be uniform and neat with a minimum of exposed solder.
(3) Cutting. Cutting of panels by torch is not permitted.
b. Pre-roofing Conference. It is strongly recommended that a pre-roofing conference be held prior
to construction. Representatives of the designer, user, roofing contractor, general contractor, materials
manufacturer, field inspectors and other related subcontractors should be present.
c. Shop Drawing Submittals. Submittals for historical restoration should indicate attempts to match
the original material. The use of cold rolled copper will permit replacement of the original heavier copper
with thinner, stronger sheets.
d. Design Submittal Requirement, Checklists and Design Alerts. Design and erection drawings of
the system should be provided containing data necessary to clearly describe design, materials, sizes,
layouts, seam configuration, construction details, provisions for thermal movement, line of panels,
fastener sizes and spacing, sealants, and installation procedures. Coordination checklists. Numbers in
parenthesis refer to CSI Masterformat number system (1995 edition).
(1) Concrete substrates should be made smooth with a wash of neat cement (CEGS 07610).
Refer to the substrate section of the NRCA Roofing and Waterproofing Manual, Metal Roofing Systems.
(2) Underlayments should be designed so that any water that penetrates below the metal roofing
panels will drain outside of the building envelope.
(3) Snow guards (07720). Specified if needed?
(4) Gutters (07710). Expansion joints, slopes, materials and details--are gutters sloped towards
leaders (exception for box gutters)? For lengths over 10.7 m (35 ft), are two downspouts used? Is outer
face of gutter lower than roof face so that overflow is away from structure? Are wire strainers provided at
(5) Downspouts and Rain Water Leaders (07710). Are strainers specified for leaders? Splash
blocks specified? Leaders firmly anchored to structure?
(6) Materials. Sheet metal (07610). Preformed metal roofing (07412)
(7) Plumbing stacks (15405). Where snow is likely to slide are stacks placed near or at the ridge
or protected by diverters?
(8) Roof mounted HVAC (15650/15800).