18 August 1998
(5) Descriptions of any modifications or repairs to existing equipment or controls which are
required for an UMCS system to function effectively.
(6) Operating schedules of the various facilities included in the project in order to estimate
potential energy savings.
(7) A descriptive list of existing UMCS components, (i.e. existing sensors or control devices) to
be utilized with the new or expanded system.
(8) A list of utility records for the Post and candidate facilities in order to quantify the economic
impact of the potential energy savings.
d. General. This document is directed solely to providing procedural guidelines for UMCS surveys.
Other activities which occur in the course of a UMCS project beginning with the DD form 1391
preparation and ending with the acceptance of the system, are covered in other references. Section 1.4,
References, provides further documentation and guidance on UMCS projects.
e. UMCS-MCX Responsibilities. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers UMCS-MCX is responsible for
all phases of UMCS projects as detailed in ER-1110-3-109, Centers of Expertise. When requested, the
UMCS-MCX will provide survey support and services on a reimbursable basis.
(1) U.S. Army Engineering and Support Center, Huntsville , Corps of Engineers, Energy
Savings Analysis for UMCS.
(2) U.S. Army Engineering and Support Center, Huntsville , Corps of Engineers, UMCS Viability
Cost Estimator, 21 Nov 96.
(3) U.S. Army Engineering and Support Center, Huntsville , Corps of Engineers, UMCS Design
Cost Estimator, 21 Nov 96.
Department of the Army, Cost Estimates-Military Construction, TM 5-800-2, 12 June 1985.
a. General. The survey for preparation of funding documents can be accomplished using personnel
from various sources such as the installation, the MACOM, specialized engineering firms, Corps District
offices, and the UMCS-MCX. Installation personnel will be familiar with needs of the installation and
characteristics of existing facilities, utilities and other systems. Representatives from the MACOM and
UMCS-MCX will be experienced personnel who have been involved with the initiation, design, installation
and operation of other UMCS projects. The basic responsibilities for each team member or group are
b. Participants. The survey team may include representatives from the following principal
(1) UMCS-MCX. The UMCS-MCX is tasked to ensure proper design, installation, testing and
acceptance of UMCS projects and to provide engineering support to DoD and other government
agencies. To accomplish this, the UMCS-MCX will:
Perform surveys upon request.
Provide team leadership and team members.
Provide technical assistance for UMCS projects.