01 May 1999
(9) Snow Guards (07635). Specify if needed.
(10) Gutters (07631) and Downspouts. Expansion joints for gutters, slopes, materials and
details: Gutters should be sloped towards leaders. For lengths over 10.7 m (35 ft) use two
downspouts. The outer face of the gutter should be lower than the roof face so that the overflow is
away from structure.
(11) Downspouts and Rain Water Leaders (07632). Strainers are recommended for leaders.
They should be firmly anchored to the structure. Use splash blocks as needed.
(12) Specifications. Verify materials are in compliance.
(13) Plumbing Stacks (15405). Where snow is likely to slide, stacks should be located close to
the ridge or protected by snow splitters or snow guards.
(14) Air Handling Vents (15800). Ventilate according to requirements.
(15) Roof Mounted HVAC (15650/15800). Check against project specifications.
Install saddles and crickets to divert water flow round projections.
(17) Solar Heat Panels
Solar Water Heaters
(18) Prefabricated Roof Specialties
(19) Anchorage. Verify fasteners, ties are as specified. Verify fasteners long enough for
specified penetration. (Minimum 12 mm (1/2 in.) into, or all the way through decking.) Verify gauge of
fasteners or wire meets specification. Verify high wind or seismic details are applicable.
(20) Offset. Verify following rows of material are adequately offset so those joints are not
aligned. (Minimum offset 38 mm (1-1/2 in.) for shakes, shingles, and slates. (Tile may be designed to
e. Field Review and Observation.
(a) Verify deck spacing, fastening and smoothness is as specified.
(b) Verify the underlayment is as specified. (Especially along eaves and in valleys.)
1/ Fasteners should be properly driven (figures 8-a and 8-b).
2/ Verify the fastener is of the correct type, size (length) and grade.
shingles must be nailed, not stapled.)