1 August 1998
SAMPLE METAL BUILDING SYSTEM FOUNDATION NOTES
Metal Building System buildings are procured using Guide Specification CEGS 13120 or
CEGS 13121 as appropriate. The structural drawings should include a foundation plan that
indicates an estimate of the foundation requirements for a building that will meet the specified
requirements. (Masonry wall foundations, where masonry is used, will be completely detailed
and shown on the contract drawings). The foundation plan should be consistent with the
requirements of the foundation report. As a minimum, the following notes should be
1. Building (specify building by name & number) will be procured as a Metal Building System
as specified in specification section (CEGS 13120 or CEGS 13121).
2. The metal building foundations shown on this sheet are estimates for the building and are
to be used as a guide for the building supplied. The contractor will redesign the metal building
foundations for the actual building loads provided by the Metal Building Manufacturer.
Foundations for items other than the metal building will be constructed as shown.
3. The contractor will not vary from the basic criteria shown by this drawing, such as slab
thickness, control joint spacing and location, capillary water barrier, vapor barrier, minimum
depth of footing, and column thrust resisting system.
4. Building footings will be sized for an allowable soil bearing value, minimum bottom of
footing depth, and safety factor as indicated in the specifications. The minimum footing width
will be _______.
5. Foundation design will be performed by a Registered Professional Engineer as specified
and will be submitted for approval as part of the Metal Building System design analysis.