30 June 2001
c. Availability of construction materials (type of material, location; name and description of
pits, quarries, or other sources; samples obtained).
(1) Sand and gravel deposits.
(2) Aggregates (base-course, concrete, and bituminous mixtures).
(3) Cementitious materials (portland cement, fly ash, and asphalt; type; class; grade).
d. Evaluations of Existing Pavements (describe all evaluations conducted).
a. Laboratory (describe lab testing conducted).
b. Field (describe field testing conducted).
B-5. RESULTS OF INVESTIGATIONS AND TESTING.
a. Material Characterization.
(1) Subgrade characteristics (soil classifications, unit weights, moisture-density
relationships, gradations, Atterberg limits, CBR and/or modulus of subgrade reaction, permeability,
(2) Characteristics of borrow (same as above).
(3) Characteristics of base and subbase material (same as above).
(4) Characteristics of pavement surfacing materials.
c. Frost Conditions (where applicable).
(1) Frost susceptibility of materials (based on gradation and frost classification, laboratory
freeze tests, heave measurements, observations or ice lense formations in test pits, etc.).
(2) Frost penetration (based on field observations or design air-freezing index and modified
(3) Moisture availability.
(4) Mean annual temperature.