TM 5-822-11/AFP 88-6, Chap. 7
(5) Select a sealant that resists intrusion of
b. Preformed Compression Seals. Figure 2-7 il-
lustrates common defects and lists their possible
(6) Select a sealant that resists hardening or
causes for preformed compression seals. The de-
oxidizing and remains elastic.
fects include slip down, twisting, extrusion, and
(7) Ensure the sealant conforms to the appro-
compression set of the seal. The defects can be
priate specification by having it tested by an
reduced or eliminated as follows:
(1) Size the seals properly (see app C).
(8) Remove debris from the surface of the
(2) Use seals with characteristics that provide
pavement as much as possible.
(9) Avoid trapping air and moisture in the
permanent set at high temperatures.
sealant during installation.
(3) Use care during installation and use the
(10) Recess the sealant below the pavement