TM 5-820-4/AFM 88-5, Chap 4
1. All values shown above are for average conditions and are to reconsidered as guidelines only.
2. Calculations should be made for minimum cover for all individual pipe installations for pipe underlying roads, streets
and open storage areas subject to H20 1ive loads.
3. Calculations for minimum cover for all individual pipe installations should be separately made for all Cooper E80
railroad live loading.
4. In seasonal frost areas, minimum pipe cover must meet requirements of table 23 of TM 5820-3 for protection of
5. Pipe placed under rigid pavement will have minimum cover from the bottom of the subbase to top of pipe of l. Oft. for
pipe up to 60 inches and greater than l. Oft. for sizes above 60 inches if calculations so indicate.
6. Trench widths depend upon varying conditions of construction but maybe as wide as is consistent with space required
to install the pipe and as deep as can be managed from practical construction methods.
7. Non-reinforced concrete pipe is available in sizes up to 36 inches.
8. See tables C-1 through C8 for suggested maximum cover requirements.