TM 5-852-4/AFM 88-19, Chap. 4
120. American Standards Association, Inc., American Standard Building Code Requirements for Excavations and
Foundations, LA56.1-1952. Sponsored by American Society of Civil Engineers, 1953.
121. Anderson, D.M. arid Morgenstern, N.R., "Physics, Chemistry and Mechanics of Frozen Ground A Review."
In Permafrost: The North American Contribution to the Second International Converence, Yakutsk.
National Academy of Science National Academy of Engineering National Research Council,
Washington, D.C., 1973.
122. Low Temperature Phases of Interfacial Water in Clay-Water Systems. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. Proc., Vol 35, No.
1, pp. 47-54, 1971.
123. Anderson, D.M. and Tice, A.R., Predicting Unfrozen Water Contents in Frozen Soils from Surface Area
Measurements. In Highway Research Board Symposium on Frost Action in Soils, Highway Research
Record No. 393. 1972.
124. Barnes, D.F., Geophysical Methods for Delineating Permafrost. In Permafrost: Proceedings, International
Conference, Purdue University. National Academy of Sciences National Research Council Pub. No.
1287, pp. 349-355, 1963.
125. Beskow, G., Soil Freezing and Frost Heaving with Special Applications to Roads.and Railroads. The
Swedish Geological Society, 26th Yearbook, No. 3, Series C, No. 375, 1935. Translated by J.O.
Osterberg, Northwestern University Technological Institute, 1947.
126. Black, R.F., Some Problems in Engineering Geology Caused by Permafrost in the Arctic Coastal Plain,
Northern Alaska. Arctic, Vol. 10, pp. 230-240, 1957.
127. Boller, K.H. Strength of Wood at Low Temperatures. In Low Temperature Test Methods and Standards for
Containers A Symposium. Advisory Board on Quartermaster Research and Development, NAS-NRC,
Washington, pp. 65-76, 1954.
128. Butkovich, T.R., Frozen Earth Materials as Seismic Decoupling Materials. Lawrence Radiation Laboratory,
University of California, Report TID-4500, 1968.
129. Carlson, R.F., Kane, D.L. and Bowers, C.E., Groundwater Pore Pressures Adjacent to Subarctic Streams. In
Permafrost: The North American Contribution to the Second International Conference, Yakutsk. NAS-
NAE-NRC, Washington, D.C., 1973.
130. Casagrande, A. and Fadum, R.E., Application of Soil Mechanics in Designing Building Foundations. Tran.
ASCE, Vol. 109, pp. 383-490, 1944.
131 Casagrande, A. and Shannon, W.L., Research on Stree-Deformation and Strength Characteristics of Soft
Rocks under Transient Loading. Soil Mechanics 1 Series 31, Graduate School of Engineering, Harvard
132. Crane, C.O., Steam Curing Protects Winter Concreting. J. Am. Concrete Inst., Vol. 22, pp. 214-216, 1950.
133. Crory, F.E., Pile Construction in Permafrost. Proc. ASCE, Vol. 86, No. SM4, pp. 87-94, 1960. (Discussion
of J.A Pihlainen, Ibid, Proc. ASCE, Vol. 85, No. SM6, December 1959, pp. 75-95.) 134. Pile
Foundations in Permafrost. In Permafrost: Proceedings, International Conference, Purdue University.
NAS-NRC Pub. No. 1287, pp. 467-472, 1963.
135. Settlement Associated with Thawing of Permafrost. In Permafrost: The North American Contribution to the
International Conference, Yakutsk. NAS-NAE-NRC, Washington, D.C., 1973.
136. Culley, R.W., Frost Penetration in Saskatchewan Pavements. Dept. of Highways, Saskatchewan, Canada,
Technical Report 6, 1967.
137. Dias, W.C. and Freedman, S., Discussion: Pile Foundations in Permafrost, by F.E. Crory. In Permafrost:
Proceedings, International Conference, Purdue University. NAS-NRC Pub. No. 1287, pp. 442-474,
138. Dickens, H.B. and Gray, D.M., Experience with a Pier-Supported Building over Permafrost. Proc. ASCE, J.
Soil Mech. Fdn. Div., No. 86, pp. 1-14, 1960.
139. Dow Chemical Co., Water Accumulation in Styrofoam. Report No. 2560-722E, 1966.
140. Dunham, J.W., Pile Foundations for Buildings. Proc. ASCE, J. Soil Mech. Fdn. Div., No. 80, 1954.
141. Ferrians, O.J., Jr., ERTS and Arctic Engineering Geology in Alaska. In Summaries, Proc. 8th International
Symposium on Remote Sensing of Environment. University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, pp. 153-
142. Ferrians, O.J., Jr. and Hobson, G.D., Mapping and Predicting Permafrost in North America: A review, 1963-
1973. In Permafrost: The North American Contribution to the Second International Conference,
Yakutsk. NAS-NAE-NRC, Washington, D.C., 1973.
143. Forest Products Laboratory, Wood Handbook. U.S. Dept. of Agriculture Handbook No. 72, 1955.
144. Frischknecht, F.C. and Stanley, W.D., Airborne and Ground Electrical Resistivity Studies Along Proposed
TAPS Route. In 2nd International Symposium on Arctic Geology, San Francisco. Am. Assoc. Petrol.
Geol., Tulsa, Oklahoma, 1971.